NC Navy Ships

The State of North Carolina purchased five ships for its navy in 1861. This navy lasted 67 days before the State ceded control of coastal defenses to the Confederate government. The ships were sold to the CS Navy for $61,000. The Raleigh, Ellis, and Edwards were turned over to the CS Navy on 21 July 1861; the Winslow and Beaufort were turned over on 20 August 1861. Periodically other ships were chartered instead of purchased.

  • NCS Winslow – purchased; armed with a short 32-pdr; originally named J.E. Coffee; commanded by Lt. Thomas M. Crossan; sold to CS Navy
  • NCS Beaufort – purchased; armed with a long 32-pdr; originally named Caledonia; commanded by Lt. Robert C. Duval; sold to CS Navy
  • NCS Ellis – purchased; never armed; originally named Fairfield; sold to CS Navy; commanded by Lt. David Coleman during May 1861 while still named Fairfield
  • NCS Raleigh – purchased; never armed; originally named Loper; sold to CS Navy
  • NCS Edwards – purchased; never armed; originally named J. A. Smith; sold to CS Navy and renamed Forrest
  • Albemarle – chartered, then purchased; never armed; named never changed; not sold to CS Navy; turned over to army quartermaster: commanded by Lt. W.W. Roberts
  • Kakukee – chartered to NC Navy; never armed; name never changed; commanded by Peter U. Murphy; later chartered by CS Army quartermaster
  • Junaluska – chartered to NC Navy; name never changed; commanded by Lt. Peter U Murphy

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements